Command Sponsorship

When you are stationed overseas, you must request permission from your command in order to have family members accompany you there. If approved, you will be reimbursed for travel expenses and given housing allowances and other benefits for the overseas assignment.

  • Command sponsorship may not be approved for a number of reasons, such as the location of the duty station, insufficient general family support resources at the duty station, or insufficient resources available to support a family member with special needs.
  • If command sponsorship is denied, but a family member still decides to move to the duty station country, he or she will be responsible for all transportation and living expenses associated with the move.
  • You may request command sponsorship through your chain of command. If approved, military orders will specifically state that dependents are authorized.
  • Remember that if you get married before you PCS (permanent change of station), you must inform your commander and follow the procedures exactly as you receive them. The military will not pay for your spouse’s travel and housing if you do not follow proper procedures.