Education Transcripts: Evaluation of Military Experience and Training

If you are a service member with a goal of higher education, you may already be collecting equivalent college credits just by serving your country. The American Council on Education (ACE) acts as a link between the Department of Defense (DoD) and higher-level learning institutions. Bridging the gap between the DoD and colleges and universities makes it possible for you to receive college credits for your training in the military and the typical duties of your occupation.

In order to receive your educational credits, the Military Evaluations Program will evaluate your Service school courses, and ACE will help higher education institutions understand and apply your appropriate credits. For questions and clarification, college registrars, admissions officers, military education personnel, veterans, and other academic personnel can contact ACE to ensure that you are awarded the credits you’ve earned.

Transcript by Service branch

Transcripts with military education, training, and experience are available for each Service branch complete with ACE descriptions and credit recommendations. Find your Service branch below for more information on obtaining your transcript.

  • Army. Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) is a free transcript service available upon request to all Soldiers and Veterans of the Army, Army National Guard, and Army Reserve, who have not completed their under graduate degree and whose Basic Active Service Date (BASD) is after October 1, 1981.
  • Navy and Marine Corps. Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) is an ACE and academically accepted document. Active duty, Reserve, and Veterans of the Navy and Marine Corps are eligible for SMART transcripts.
  • Air Force. Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) is the federally-charted, degree-granting institution of the Air Force. Students can follow their progress, and options are available for transcript order. All current and former active duty, Guard, and Reserve Air Force members can order a transcript free of charge through the CCAF online system.
  • Coast Guard. In order to request a transcript in the Coast Guard, service members must first submit an Application for Voluntary Education Services, CGI-1561. Following the completion of this assessment, a file is created and transcripts are then produced. Official transcripts may be requested by active duty members, Reservists, civilian employees, spouses, and retired/separated personnel.

Visit the websites above for contacts and more information on obtaining transcripts through your Service branch. For more information about ACE course evaluations and the ACE recommended college credit opportunities available, visit the ACE website.