Know Your Installation’s Relocation Support Offices

Your moving experience begins when you receive your permanent change of station (PCS) orders. When that time comes, keep these resources in mind so you know what to expect, who to contact, and what kinds of relocation assistance are available.

Relocation Assistance Office

Your Relocation Assistance Office should be your first stop when you are considering a move or when you actually receive orders. The goal of the Relocation Assistance Office is to connect you to the right tools and resources at the right time so that you can execute an efficient and cost-effective move within the military system.

Your installation Relocation Assistance Office can help you

  • determine your PCS allowances
  • connect with your new installation’s Relocation Assistance Office
  • create and customize a moving calendar with Plan My Move
  • connect with important installation agencies
  • create a customized booklet of resources from MilitaryINSTALLATIONS
  • access a loan closet (for borrowing basic, essential household goods while yours are still in transit)
  • understand out-processing requirements
  • obtain a sponsor

Permanent change of station allowances

There are various allowances associated with most moves within the continental United States (CONUS) and outside the continental United States (OCONUS). Check with the finance office on your installation to determine the exact amount of your allowances. For additional information, you can visit the Per Diem, Travel and Transportation Allowance Committee website, the official source for up-to-date changes to benefits and allowances.

Housing Office

If you’re trying to decide whether to live on the installation or off, your Housing Office can help you weigh your options. The right choice depends on a number of complex factors, such as your family situation, personal preferences, economic resources, and availability of housing options on the installation and in the civilian community.

Your installation Housing Office can help you

  • determine your housing allowances
  • determine availability of government housing
  • understand your housing privatization options
  • find local community housing
  • arrange for temporary lodging

Transportation Office

Your Transportation Office can help you coordinate your move and will explain PCS move allowances in detail. The website is the Department of Defense’s (DoD) worldwide website for managing your move, to include understanding your allowances, scheduling and tracking your shipment and, if necessary, filing claims.

Your Transportation Office can help you

  • use
  • schedule your government move
  • schedule your unaccompanied baggage (UAB)
  • find resources for making a personal move
  • provide information about household goods (HHG) allowances
  • assist you with shipping a pet
  • provide information and assistance on shipping your personally owned vehicle